So I finally got around to making those pumpkin waffles I have been talking about for forever. And holy cow... who knew a waffle recipe would be so difficult. It really wasn't a hard recipe, I was just trying to make it a little different and it didn't like it! Which is why I'm calling this morning my waffle adventure.
So the recipe calls for egg white beaten until stiff peaks form. This is my being really lazy but I didn't want to get out a hand mixer just for that, so I just beat them with a fork until there was some bubbles and called it good. Yeah, it really didn't like that. The dough was a little too thin that way, so the waffles wouldn't stay together. So for the last one I stirred in some more flour, and then it worked! But it was a little burnt :( but that's probably because of the 2 before this that I had had to scrape off the waffle maker... maybe some pieces were left.
Alright, so the egg thing is totally my own fault, but if I want to make these vegan they can't have egg whites in them. And, there's nothing really that quite is the same in the vegan world as beaten egg whites. Not when you need it to get all fluffy and stuff. So I was thinking, I will try them with more liquidy eggs, so then if you needed to do egg replacers you would know what was going on. But to do it that way it will take a little more flour. Also I'm thinking a little more pumpkin would be nice, just because I love pumpkin so much. :)
So all in all, eventually I got one whole waffle to eat, topped it with some vanilla coconut milk yogurt and some fresh sliced strawberries. (I'm trying to cut out sugar, so even though the yogurt had sugar in it I figured it had to be better than me drowning it in maple syrup. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself) And it was delicious! But, this recipe will take some work before I feel like I can post it online. Especially when it comes to vegan-izing and gluten-free-izing it all. But I'm sure in a few weeks, once I have had a few weekends to practice it will be great.
Anyways, I should probably go clean my kitchen now after all that craziness. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment