Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Avocado Chicken Salad

My latest (and almost greatest) food invention recently... avocado chicken salad! I made it last night (ate in on my Pamela's gluten free/corn free bread that I made!) and it is delicious. Got it off Pinterest (of course) but adapted it a little. And it's actually really really good!!
I'm not a huge fan of mayonnaise, I will use it for chicken and tuna salad and on BLT's and that's about it. Otherwise I just don't really like the taste. But it is a really good binder for salads, and there's just something about a BLT with mayo that is for some reason better than one without it. I dunno what it is. Maybe just because I don't like dry sandwiches and not many other condiments go well with bacon. But anyways, this stuff was awesome, and NO MAYO! Which means instead of those nasty unhealthy fats from mayo you get really healthy fats from the avocado! And avocado is still pretty creamy so it makes a good binder. So here we go:

2 chicken breasts, broiled, and diced
1 ripe avocado
1 TBS plain greek yogurt (optional, I think it makes it a little more creamy, but if you are trying to not eat dairy then omit it obviously)
1 tsp salt
A splash of lime juice
Chopped cilantro to taste

Mash up the avocado until creamy and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the diced chicken and viola! If you are going to use fresh cilantro I would suggest mixing all the ingredients except the chicken in a food processor so then you get it nice and chopped and you don't feel like you are eating leaves. I used dried cilantro (the store was out of fresh) so I just mashed it all with a fork.

Mom, if you are reading this I'll bet it would be good with some tofu crumbles or other sort of vegan protein. I know Dad wouldn't like it, but it might be a nice sandwich change for you!

Might even be good as a grilled sandwich with a little provolone or something? Mmmmm might have to try that next.

And as far as I know, yay Cathy finally a recipe I'm posting you can eat! I think.

On another note, I am in high high levels of pain today and not liking it. I'm still not completely sure why. My armpits have been a little twingy and a little sore since I started not eating corn so I was wondering if that might be related but I was feeling healthier so I thought it couldn't be that. Though I'm thinking that that is about the time I started swimming pretty regularly again, so I'm wondering if it's because of the chlorine. I've never really had too much of a problem before, but I'm usually pretty good about showering right when I get out of the pool and the last couple days I didn't. Like Sunday I just figured I would shower when I got home, so it was about an hour after swimming that I showered, and then I was a little sore, and then yesterday I didn't shower right away because again I figured I would shower when I got home, but then I got distracted because I was watching the Biggest Loser with my roommates, and then I was just exhausted so I went to bed without showering assuming I would be fine until morning. Holy not fine. I woke up at about midnight in so much pain and my shirt was actually stuck to one of my armpits because I think a little sore had opened up. So I ended up sleeping in no shirt the rest of the night so it could have air. And then this morning in the shower I washed them like 4 times with antibacterial soap and they felt a little better, but still really sore all day. That's the problem with this disease, there's no instant fix. Once I get a sore and it starts hurting, it's gonna hurt for a few days even if  remove the problem. So I'm thinking I won't go swimming tomorrow night even though that's my day off and I normally would swim just to give them a break. And then on Saturday when I have to get in for my lesson I'm definitely taking a shower right after! Hopefully that's all this problem is, just the chlorine and showers because I can fix that. If it's because I'm not eating corn then I don't know what to do, because not eating it I do feel healthier but if it's going to make my armpits hurt to not eat it, then that would be against the whole point of this, which is to try to make my armpits pain free! So hopefully it's just the chlorine. I'll keep you updated. I do have a Dr apt tomorrow so we shall see what she says.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, thinking that recipe might also be good with some chopped tomatoes or onions or peppers? Or all of the above? It would be like chicken and guacamole on a sandwich. Might have to try that next too, especially with the grilled and provolone... I'm getting all excited now haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm salivating. That sounds awesome!!!
    And what a bummer about your pits :( Chlorine sounds like the culprit tho...and I'm so glad you're feeling better with going corn free!!
    Tomorrow at work we're having a chili cookoff..and two of the people on my team are trying to make their chili so that I can eat it. AWW. I'm in charge of bringing cornbread...which is fine, but I can't even sample it to make sure I didn't overcook it or forget something. LOL sigh.
    AND I think my supplements are giving me insomnia. AGH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol just make sure the cornbread isn't black and I'm sure it will taste fine :) the recipe on the back of the box is there for a reason! That's really awesome that they are making chili you can eat. I hope it turns out delicious!

    ReplyDelete