So today has been fun, I've been alternating between baking and tv watching all day. It's great. Gotta love my days off! Haha. But anyways, I tried a few new experiments today which may or may not have worked out. Also there was supposed to be a Mexican adventure for dinner but then I got invited over to a friends for corned beef and cabbage for St Patty's day so Mexican food adventure will be happening tomorrow! (sorry for the delay Cathy). Haha I like how I call all of my cooking these days adventures. Though they really kind of are. You never really know what you're going to end up with sometimes.
So anyways, first off I made these gluten free muffins just from a mix my mom had sent me, it was from Namaste Foods. And I'm sorry, I usually like that brand, they have good pasta, but these muffins were nasty. I felt really bad but they went straight in the trash. They just had such a weird after taste. Kinda like when you put too much baking powder in things, and you get that weird metallic and sour taste? It was like that. Yuck, didn't like it.
So then baking adventure 2 was the almond flour muffins from the almond flour cookbook, the apple cinnamon ones. Which I had made one other time but with frozen berries, and they didn't come out great because I didn't let the berries thaw first so the extra water in the dough made them a little soggy. But they still tasted good. Anyways, but this time the adventure was protein muffins, so I subbed 1/2 cup of the flour with 1/2 cup of protein powder. Cuz I figured hey now they are an even better breakfast muffin, 6 more grams of protein per muffin. Though don't quote me on that, that is a very rough estimate. So they came out ok, the dough came out really thick so then they burned a little bit, and they taste a little funny but not necessarily bad. I only had vanilla protein powder, so it might taste different if you weren't using flavored powder... Idk that one still needs a little experimentation. So I will keep trying those. Just like the waffles, I will keep experimenting with them too :)
And thirdly, I finally made the chocolate chip scones! And umm YUM. Didn't mess with anything on that recipe, and they came out awesome. And delicious. So finally a successful baking adventure!
Ha what can I say, I'm really not much of a baker. I don't mind it, it's nice that while it's in the oven I can sit on the couch and watch Dr Who, but really cooking is my true love. I just don' t like how precise you have to be in baking, I like to just throw things together and see what happens. But that's ok, I will keep working at it. And to look forward to later in the week, what we also have coming up is.... Mexican food adventure with Black Bean Tacos, with homemade tortillas and a garlic-avocado dipping sauce. Also, we got homemade buffalo chicken pizza, with homemade vegan cashew cream cheese. So get pumped about that :)
I *cannot* wait for your tacos - that is so impressive sounding!! I'm so proud of you for all your experimentation!! And I'm really glad you loved the scones :) My all time faves... Way to go way to go. you're on your way to culinary expertise, on the most challenging road of all :)
ReplyDelete