Ok so this was the first thing I made at home, and it could probably use some work (mainly more spices) but I will tell you what I did so far. As you might know, my parents are vegans, so that's the reason this is a veggie pot pie. But I'll bet it would be awesome with some broiled chicken or leftover turkey from Thanksgiving dinner. Also, the reason "pot pie" is in quotations is because you make this in a casserole dish and it only has one "crust" (I used biscuits, so it's really more like veggie and dumplings? but baked?) so it's not really actually a pie. Anyways, here goes nothing.
Filling
4 cups veggie broth or chicken broth
4-5 cups chopped veggies of your choice (I used broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, peas, and carrots)
1 cup almond milk
About 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour (we used rice flour)
1 TBS minced garlic
onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, etc to taste
Preheat oven to 350. Put broth in a soup pot, add veggies, and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for about 20 minutes, until veggies are cooked through and soft. Stir in almond milk and flour, and cook until warm again and thickened. Put in a casserole dish and top with biscuits.
Biscuits
This recipe was inspired by this recipe from Simply Gluten Free for pretty easy biscuits.
1 1/2 cups rice flour
3/4 cup arrowroot starch
1 TBS baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 tsp COLD fat (butter, shortening, Earth Balance)
3/4 cup milk (dairy free works too!)
Mix together dry ingredients, and then cut in the fat until pieces are no bigger than peas. Stir in milk slowly until dough forms. Piece of sections of dough and flatten into circles. Place circles on top of the veggie mixture in the casserole dish. Bake entire dish at 350 for 25 minutes until warm and bubbly and biscuits are starting to get browned.
To make biscuits by themselves, preheat oven to 400 and bake for 20 minutes on greased cookie sheet.
So the filling makes a little more than filled the pan I was using, but the leftovers are really good on either rice or waffles (recipe for waffles coming soon!), since it is all creamy and delicious. The biscuits might make a little bit too much too, but when you are putting them on the filling, I would say err on the side of thinner rather than thicker. I made my biscuit layer pretty thick and it just seemed like a little bit too much bread on there.
No comments:
Post a Comment