OK so it's pretty easy for me to get discouraged about food lately with so many things I can't eat and then I feel like all I do is mess up, especially at work when I don't actually know half the ingredients I'm eating so I could be messing up without knowing, but that all changed tonight. I made the best dinner ever!!! So I normally am not a big fish fan, anything that tastes like the ocean smells is just not ok with me. Do I love the smell of the ocean? Yes. But do I want it in my dinner? NO. So most seafood is out. I do like shrimp, but shrimp is not allowed on this diet. But, one kind of fish that I do really actually like is Tilapia. It's less super fishy tasting. So the other day at the store, since I'm trying to branch out and all that, I figured hey why not? And bough a couple tilapia filets. Best decision of the week I have to say, because it led to tonight's amazing dinner: Fish Taco Bowls.
So no processed foods for me, that pretty much means if I want grains they need to be in whole grain form. I have been using brown rice tortillas every once in a while, but the brown rice bread that I have gives me gas, so too processed obviously. So tonight I made fish tacos without the tacos! With mango salsa (see, told you I would reinvent Mexican food with no tomatoes or peppers). And it was awesome! So here goes
Fish Taco Bowls
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tilapia filets
1 tsp each: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
olive oil for frying
Cook the rice according to package directions, and then mix with black beans. Put in the bottom of bowl. Meanwhile, mix the spices together and season both sides of the tilapia filets. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, and put the tilapia filets in the oil (I only made 1 tonight then I have left overs for tomorrow but you could of course make them both). Cook on one side until white (4-5 minutes?) then flip. Leave cooking on the other side until a crispy skin forms (6? minutes) and the fish is white and flaky all the way through. Place the fish on top of the bean and rice mixture, and top with some mango salsa. Enjoy!
*Cooking times are very very estimated as I was talking to my roommate while cooking and not in any way paying attention to the clock
Mango salsa
1 mango, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
2 shallots, diced
1 tsp lime juice
salt to taste
Mix everything together in a bowl. Viola!
Ok and then I had some asparagus in the fridge that I needed to use up, so I figured hey why not eat that up tonight too? So I made prosciutto wrapped asparagus... Umm new favorite thing ever. It was so good! All salty and flavorful and yummy! And so easy. Seriously, I just took a package of prosciutto, cut all the pieces in half, and wrapped each around a piece of asparagus. Roasted it all in the oven, 400 degrees for 12 minutes, and it was perfect. The asparagus was nicely cooked, the prosciutto was crispy. IT WAS AWESOME! New favorite thing :) Didn't even need any extra spices or seasonings or anything because it already had so much flavor. YUM!
These two things made me really happy that I can still make yummy delicious food and not break my diet. So that was awesome. I know I can make good food at home, but sometimes it's hard when I don't have much time or I'm just not feeling like cooking. So these made me happy. Didn't take too long, tasted delicious, and followed all the rules. :)
Now I just have to work on eating better at work. It's so hard when there's things like unlimited pop and pizza staring me in the face and I have to sit there and go, yeah I'll eat my vegetables... and then most salad dressings at work have dairy or sugar in them, so I'm pretty much just stuck with oil and vinegar which is not all that exciting. Which is not a bad meal really, I actually like vinegar and oil and eating my vegetables is good for me of course, it just sucks when you have the same thing every day. It gets old real quickly. So that is where all my mess ups come from or where it gets real hard, is at work. I can't wait for it to be summer when I make all my own food and then I know for sure what's in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment