Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Non-Inflammatory Diet

So my naturopath gave me this hand out about how to eat a non-inflammatory diet, which she really wants me to do, especially for the next few weeks while I'm working on getting rid of yeast and figuring out my food allergies and things like that. It's really interesting! But sounds good for you. So for the next about 6 weeks or so (if not the rest of my life) depending on the results of my food intolerance test I get to eat things like:
Vegetables!! (include at least one green one daily)
Grains like millet, quinoa, and brown rice
Any kind of legumes and beans other than soy beans and peanuts
Ocean (not farmed) fish, but no shellfish
Free range and organic meats (Though she says to eat ones you don't normally eat to give your gut a break which is interesting because I pretty much just eat chicken when it comes to meat so it would make sense that my gut might need a break, but then I don't know what to do with myself. Beef and pork are out unless they are organic... Maybe I will start eating more lamb. Though I just continued reading and that is only allowed once a week. Guess it's turkey time for me! Or maybe I need to learn to like fish...)
Fruit, but only 1 to 2 servings a day
No sugar unless it's things like agave, raw honey, or stevia, and only with meals..
Nuts and Nut Butters ok (again other than peanuts)
Oils are allowed, especially coconut oil, EVOO, flax, hemp, walnut, almond, and avocado
Free-Range organic vegetarian eggs (which are the only kind I eat anyways)
LOTS OF WATER!

Things I will not be eating:
Sugar
Animal milks and cheeses
Chocolate
Gluten
Peanut butter/Peanuts
Meats or Eggs that are not organic and free-range
Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant)
Caffeine (no coffee or tea)
Corn products
Soy products
Dried fruit
Fried or Processed foods
Alcohol

Ok this totally makes sense. I will give her that. Things like caffeine and alcohol, I don't care who you are you can't say they don't give you digestion issues. But some of them I find interesting, like peanuts? Not that I am sad about that, I hate peanuts and peanut butter. Call me crazy but I think they are the most disgusting thing in the world. That is like the one food that I will not touch with a 10 foot pole. And the processed foods thing makes sense, who really wants all that junk anyway especially when you are trying to clean out your system. In general I think this is a really good idea though, it should help me a lot. And then I will get my intolerances test back and then we shall see what I really can and cannot eat. But my doctor said to kinda ignore the 6 weeks part of it so I'm thinking this will be my recommended diet for the rest of my life. Because I obviously have gut issues going on so those would be better avoided if I can just stick with this. So this will be hard but I'm pretty excited! Haha I'm going to have to figure out some new meats to eat though... This is gonna be weird.

Also I made an appointment with the other naturopath that my doctor recommended, but that appointment isn't until mid-May. I figured I should get through the rest of the semester working so much before I tried to fit in more doctors. Also I am then going home for a weekend so I pushed it back another week. For now I will just work out in ways that don't strain my knee too much. But that means no running :( which is sad because I really was starting to enjoy it. And I still want to do the color run in September! So hopefully I can be fixed in time to train for that :) I would like to be joint-issue-free come about July, then I will have time to train for a 5k in September, and also come the fall I want to start taking Pink Glove Boxing, so if my knees are still messed up then that wouldn't work out very well I have a feeling. So hopefully this knee problem isn't too serious. *Crossing fingers*

1 comment:

  1. Wow makes total sense and sounds so familiar!! Peanuts - apparently a mold grows on peanuts that a lot of people are allergic to, believe it or not!
    Meats - I love salmon and its good with lemon, garlic powder and onion salt. you'll probably soon discover that your taste buds change... ;) Other meats - try bison! elk...lamb...ask the meat guy for ideas on how to cook non-fishy tasting fish...my guy has been super helpful! Also, I just made a kale salad that is amazing - rub the kale leaves with olive oil for 30 seconds first to soften them, then sprinkle half a lemon of juice over it, craisins, roasted pistachios and a little agave. AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete