Umm Fail. Ha I tried to make some homemade granola bars today and they just didn't turn out all that great. Not too bad, but not something I want to eat every day.
First off I wasn't using any kind of recipe for them, just winging it. And I've never made homemade granola bars before. So I just threw some stuff together and called it good. So anyways, here's what I did.
Mixed together cooked quinoa, chopped almonds, unsweetened coconut, a little cinnamon and a little nutmeg in a bowl. In another bowl I mixed almond butter, cocoa powder (is that the same thing as raw cacao? That's the only chocolate I'm actually allowed to eat... I'm thinking now though that those might not be the same...) some stevia and some rice milk until it was kinda the consistency of cake batter. Mixed the chocolatey stuff in with the nuts and quinoa, and then baked them all at 250 for 30 minutes. Probably should have cooked them warmer, but I just wanted them to get a little drier but not all crispy. So anyways, learning experience.
So taste wise, they aren't too bad really. Not very sweet but then again I am trying to not eat sugar and get myself away from sweet things so in a couple weeks when my taste buds start to change they might seem too sweet. The flavor of the quinoa came through quite a bit, but that isn't too bad. I think I would do less coconut next time though. I'm not actually a huge coconut fan.
So all in all they aren't the best thing I've ever tasted, but not the worst either. I will keep playing with it. They might grow on me :)
On a side note, for breakfast this morning I made "Paleo Breakfast Burritos" that I had found on pinterest and those were delicious. It suggested ham slices, but I used turkey. Anyways, I sautéed some broccoli and spinach, then scrambled them up with some eggs and a little salt, pepper, and garlic. Put the eggs into 2 turkey slices, rolled them up and called it good. I did throw the rolled up turkey on the stove for a minute in the pan just so they would get warmed up but you probably wouldn't have to do that. And they were delicious! Had that and an apple and called it a good breakfast. They probably would be good with some salsa or avocado slices on top, but since I currently can't have salsa (no tomatoes... sad face) and didn't have any avocado then that didn't happen. But they were still awesome.
I'm so impressed with your attitude and experimentation! The breakfast sounds great. I love how you branch ou and try stuff, while I just think, hm, raw cauliflower, let's munch that and call it a lunch... so you are inspiring to me!!! I love you!! :)
ReplyDelete